Friday, March 04, 2005

The Whipping

My pappa most always talked to us instead of giving spankings. At mealtime he explained why what we did or wanted to do was not to his satisfaction. By the time he finished, very calm and collected, I always felt so bad I would have rather have had a whipping and got it over.

Then he would say, "Do you understand?" So pleased to get it over and to get the lump out of my throat, I would quickly say, "Yes, sir!" We never said "no" or "yes." It was said with respect to him or my mamma or any elders.

One day I remember how my pappa called me out of bed about 4 a.m. He said he had a "crow to pick" with me. I was astonished. I knew what the term meant, but I could not think of anything I had done wrong - that day at least.

When I came downstairs, he had what he called a "keen little hickory," meaning a switch off of a tree. He let me sit on a staight chair, then he let me have it around the legs. As he whipped, he explained the reason. Someone had used his good ax for removing a band from an old wagon hub to use for paddle and wheel.

Well, you remember my brother, the little black-haired one that I mentioned earlier? By now I loved him a lot, and we played together all the time. It was he who used the good ax - I used the dull one. But my pappa did not know this.

I figured I had gotten the licking so no need to tell and cause him to get one also. So, I cried a lot and figured my brother owed me one. My pappa never knew that he whipped me wrongly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home