Saturday, February 26, 2005

Life in the City

The flat I remember was downtown. Pollution was heavy from the steel mills. My mamma washed every day in the kitchen, heating the water on the coal-burning stove and using a washtub and board. It was very hard for her to dry clothes outside with all the dirty air.

My second sister, Sadie, was the one who did the running to the grocery store and the snuff store for my mamma. My third sister, Georgia, who we called "Took," could not be sent out with money. She always gave it to the Salvation Army and told us she lost it down a manhole.

My pappa brought home lots of goodies, like bananas by the stalk. My mamma loved them. She could eat six anytime. We took in two male boarders, both named Tommy. They helped out with expenses.

My pappa worked nights at the glucose plant. The job was too easy - he had always worked hard. But the money was good for 1925. His salary was good enough that he bought a new T-Model Ford and a silk-lined sealskin coat for my mamma. It was beautiful and cost $25, which was expensive then.

My grandma came during a snow so deep it was over my head. I was five years old at the time. As usual, we kids were all sent to a friend's house to stay while a new baby was born. This one was named Jennie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home