Friday, November 18, 2005

Reading the Clouds

Another thing that is very vivid in my mind is how we were made aware to watch out for storms, which we had quite often. While we were in the fields, we were taught by my pappa how to "read the clouds" and wind patterns.

We knew almost exactly how long to wait to start to the house. We worked and read the clouds. Sometimes we knew not to go for shelter. And when we must go, we knew never to get too close to big trees during lightning or wind storms. When at home, we knew to sit on the side of the house facing the wind.

At night we were all awaken if my pappa believed the storm dangerous enough. We all came in to one room together, the one he thought strongest. We were very quiet until the danger passed and my pappa gave the word.

I felt so safe in my pappa's care, and sometimes he even let us stay in his bed the rest of the night. That was the kind of peace that many children miss now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home